Creepy crawlers......

Not far from the house I live in is a fish pond where this interesting creature was found.  He was pretty much dead when I took these pictures.  The guys who caught and killed this one told me there were several more of them in the pond.  I sure hope they stay in the pond and don't wander to my place.  I wouldn't want him on my porch any more than I welcome the snakes!



I am always on the look out for snakes and luckily have not had too many close encounters.  However, I recently met a young man who was not so lucky.


This young man, age 22, was working in the shamba (which means farm) when he was biten by a snake.  He believes it was a cobra.  I met him the day after he came to the hospital.  I was informed that after he was biten, he was treated by a local medicine man.  I have heard lots of things about local medicine men which are not often good, however, I believe this one probable helped to save this man's life.  The medicine man cut open the area around the bite which caused him to bleed.  When he arrived at the hospital, his leg/foot were very swollen and bleeding badly.


The bleeding probably helped to decrease the amount of venom which remained in his system.  Due to the swelling, the skin blistered and cracked open.  These pictures are after some of the skin has had to be removed.    This young man is very blessed because no anti-venom is available .  The care we can offer is supportive only.  He is receiving antibiotics,  pain meds and dressing changes.

I visit him every day to see how he is doing.  The swelling in his upper thigh has begun to decrease and he tells me that the pain is now minimal.  I am sad that he was biten by the snake, but I am extremely blessed by having met him and been able to help him.  Every day he blesses me with a big smile and a thumbs up.  I pray that God continues to bless his health and that he is able to return home soon.

We have actually treated several snake bites in the past few weeks.  Many people are working in the shambas.  It is very hard as a nurse from America to get used to the not having all the healthcare abilities we have in the US.   Not having anti-venom for snake bites is only one area where we do not have the abilities to treat patients here in the same manner as we do in the states.   I am beginning to work more and more with the doctors and staff at the hospital.  I see children, teenagers and adults come in with various illnesses and death is unfortunately a frequent occurance here.  Please pray for the people here and that God will bless the care we are able to give.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAREWELL TO CHIMALA MISSION

OC Students leave their "mark".....

From Tanzania to Oregon