Coming to America.....Well actually, I'm here!!

I know, I know....my blog posting leaves much to be desired.  There are many reasons/excuses why I have not been writing more often.  Not sure any of them are reason enough, but the main reason is    S-L-O-W internet.  The second is I work until I drop most days.  I am currently in the US at home for a short visit.  I will be here until October 7th when I begin my long trip back home.  Thought I would take advantage of the faster internet and get you all up-to-date.

I am here for two BIG reasons.  First to visit my family, but most important is to raise support and work-funds in order to be able to continue my work at Chimala.  It has been a struggle lately with my support.  My budget is $1,500 for personal support and $1,500 for work-funds.  In August, my contributions were $975 for personal support and $210 for work-funds.  This is a bit worrisome, but as Jesus instructed us to not be anxious in anything....I continue to trust that He will continue to provide for the needs of the work.  I am just here to do my part in the work and then He will open doors and hearts.

Many GOOD things have been happening during July and August.  Through the generous sacrifices of several people, we raised about $7,000 to "Get our Bathrooms out of the Toilet".   Below are some of the pictures.

 









Isn't this amazing?!!!!  Thanks so much for your donations and sacrifices.  We have completed the Children's ward and the male ward.  When I return to Chimala in October, we will begin working on the Female and OB wards.  As you can see, the Tanzanians are proud of the work they have been able to do.  Many hours of work have gone into this project.
 
We are also working on improving our laboratory department.  I do not have any pictures at this point as we are having difficulty finding the needed rock grinder for the built in concrete tables.  More information on this project when I return to Chimala.
 
The clinics are going very well.  Two of the 5 clinics had over 100 patients in August.  Just to remind you, the mobile medical clinics are held in remote villages where exams, labs and medications are provided at affordable costs.  No one is turned away.  If they cannot pay all of the expenses, care is provided for free or at a discounted price.  If a patient is in need of frequent follow-up for dressing changes, this is provided to them at no charge.  At this time, we have one patient who requires dressing changes 3x a week.  Zabibu is paralyzed from the waste down and therefore, going to the hospital 3 x a week would be a great hardship and very costly for him.
 
 
 
 
 
Below is a new patient we began seeing in July.  I call her "Rafiki yangu" meaning "my friend".  She is 9 years old and has been paralyzed from the neck down for four years.  She had cerebral malaria which is a very deadly type of malaria and often produces this type of outcome.  Anyway, her family is trying their best to care for her with no resources.  In order to take her anywhere, the mother carries her on her back!  I had found this old wheelchair in a storage area, so we cleaned it up as best we could and fitted ti to "my friend" the best we could.  Even tho the wheels are flat and she is a little too big for the chair, she and her mother were so glad to have it.
 
 
 
We needed something to help her hold her head up.  We really needed a soft neck collar, but instead a visitor from Germany was with me and had an airplane neck pillow....so we improvised.
 
There is much, much more to tell you, but will stop for now.  However, since I am in the land of fast internet, I will continue to send you updates.
 
As I stated at the beginning of this update, I am in great need of financial support to continue this work.  I am asking for all of my family and friends to take "Cheryl's Chimala Challenge".  Please consider donating one hours salary to this work.  Make your check out to Chimala Mission if you wish tax deduction and to Cheryl Bode if you don't.  Checks can be mailed to Cheryl Bode, 927 S. Academy Road, Guthrie, OK  73044.  AND if you wish to give more than one hour's salary, if will gladly be accepted as well!!  :)
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAREWELL TO CHIMALA MISSION

OC Students leave their "mark".....

From Tanzania to Oregon