Catching my breath

It is funny, don't you think, that we wish each other a Happy New Year.  I understand that it is the turning of a new calendar and, of course, it signifies that we have lived through it....but do we really expect the New Year to be different from the days before?  Just a question.

Here it is already the bottom half of another month; the previous days have ran together and quickly by.  The first of the month brought many new faces to the mission and an unexpected trip to Dar.  One of the missionaries who arrived at the end of December was Bill Stinson, our state-side mission Administrator.  Unfortunately he was very ill upon arrival at the Mbeya airport and while he did improve from that incident, he continued with chest pains.  His continued chest pain was the reason for the trip to Dar.  We went to one of the cardiologists in Dar for assistance.  Bill was given some medications to stabalize his heart and chest pain.  We were sad Bill had to leave the mission earlier than was expected, but glad he was able to return back to the states to have his condition further investigated.

The Wagner's arrived back to the mission from their two month furlough and I was so happy to have my mission family back on the mission with me.  Arriving with them were our new team members, the Price family. 

The mission schools began their new school year on January 6th,  which also adds lots of work for everyone.  During the school break, many were busy cleaning and fixing up the school preparing it for the new students.  Of course, we always wish we could do more or have more time, but in the end things were pretty well ready.

On top of all these items, the hospital and clinics continued to need attention as well.  Many of you may have already heard about the excitement of the December 28th Mfumbi clinic where I killed a cobra....but in case you haven't let me tell you.  You know I truly hate snakes...I rarely see one that you wont hear me scream bloody murder.  But for some reason when I saw this snake slithering on the ground, I did not only not scream, but I grabbed a chunk of wood which was laying nearby and went after it.  It must have been a passing minute of insanity....  As I went after it, I did not know it was a cobra until it turned toward me raising up its head and body from the ground, opening that threatening-looking cape around its head.  Now that stopped me for just a minute and the others in the area began yelling at me to "get back", "get back".  But when the snake began to slither away again, I continued to go after it.  Once again, it turned toward me raising up from the ground and spreading that cape...and I thought.."no you don't!  I am bigger than you"...and down I went with that piece of wood I had in my hand and smashed him just behind his head.  Then one of the others (men, I might add) then came over and finished him off by smashing his head.


 
 
The clinic, in spite of the snake was very successful.  I will need to really work on getting more pictures to show you the good work we are doing.  I seem to be so busy working that I forget about taking them.  We were not as busy at the December clinic as we were in November, but that was to be expected.  We saw 46 patients and the church is telling me that they are extremely happy to have the clinic for the community.

One more small bit of news for today.  I will be making another unexpected trip to Dar on Monday.  I have somehow managed to hurt my left knee.  It was something which happened back around the 4th of the month and is not getting any better.  I did not fall or have an accident....it just "popped" one day when I was walking quickly across some uneven ground.  Will have an MRI to see if anything further needs to be done.  Hopefully just needs more rest than I seem to be able to give it.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAREWELL TO CHIMALA MISSION

OC Students leave their "mark".....

From Tanzania to Oregon