Circumcision Clinic

The government of Tanzanian Health Authority has recently begun a campaign encouraging all males to be circumcised.  Most of the tribes and villages here do not approve of circumcision until the young men reach their teenage years.  Some of the males are never circumcised.
 
Our hospital began its 10 day campaign for our area on Monday.  We converted one of our minor theatre rooms (ER rooms) into a procedure room with 6 beds.  Along with the staff from the regional hospital, we have 15 - 20 staff working this clinic throughout the day. Each day the team will work from 7am - 9pm.  I am not sure what I expected when I was informed we would be holding this clinic, but I don't think I expected this....

 
The above picture shows a couple of the beds set up for the procedure.  There are actually 6 beds in this room.
 
 
At the beginning of Monday, there were over 200 men and boys waiting to be registered for the procedure.

 
These nurses are working very hard and fast to get the registrations done so that the patients can be taken to the doctors for their procedure.
 
One Monday, they performed 104 circumcisions and on Tuesday the count ended at 130.  Pretty amazing setup and teamwork.  Would love to show you more pics...but really not appropriate.  However, I will say that I truly believe circumcision at birth is much better than when these poor boys are older.  My heart hurt for them even though I know that having this done is much better, safer and healthier for them in the long run.
 

 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAREWELL TO CHIMALA MISSION

OC Students leave their "mark".....

From Tanzania to Oregon