Local Medicine causes much pain

There have been several cases since I have been here where the local medicine (witch doctor) has caused pain, severe infections, need for amputations and even death.   Because the parents believe the local medicine man knows what he is doing, the patient is not brought to us until their health is in really bad shape.  Most of the time I don't share the stories because they are so sad and the pictures so devastating.  However, I have permission to share this one with you.
 
When I walked into the room to see this 4 month old baby, I was shocked and horrified.


 
I was informed that this is the local treatment when a child is suspected to have pneumonia.  The local medicine man takes a razor and performs all these cuts on the body to let the infection out.  I could not count the number of cuts because all I could think of was this 4 month old baby screaming while it was tortured in this horrific way.  Now this precious little one has a deep neck infection/abcess which we had to cut open to drain.

 
She also has horrible skin infections all over her neck, sholders and head.  We have placed her on antibiotics and are praying for her rapid and complete recovery.

 
It is my prayer that with the increase in the number of mobile medical clinicss we are starting, we will have the opportunity to teach mothers about appropriate treatments.  And these clinics will also offer us the opportunity to identify some of these cases before the reach this advanced state. 
 
In order for me to continue assisting the Chimala Mission Hospital in making improvements and to perform mobile medical clinics, I will continue to need the assistance from everyone who can possibly help with financial assistance.  The total of funds I need each month for my personal expenses and the expenses of the mobile clinics in is the range of $3,500/month.  At this current time, I am living here month to month.  Some months the money is adequate, other months I wonder if I will be able to continue to stay here and work.  I pray that more of you will find it in your hearts to help me continue to help those in need.  No amount is too small or too large....haha.  If you can help in this much needed work, please send your donation to Chimala Mission, 5371 New York Avenue, Arlington, TX 76018 with a note indicating your donation is for the Cheryl Bode support or workfund.  Thanking you in advance.
 
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAREWELL TO CHIMALA MISSION

OC Students leave their "mark".....

From Tanzania to Oregon