READY…..SET…..WAIT!!

 I was all set to leave this next Tuesday.  However, just yesterday, I was informed I needed to delay my trip for another 3 weeks!  I must say that my heart fell just a bit.  I have been talking with people in Chimala and they are as excited about my return as I am.  I have already requested some paperwork from them and started doing some reviewing so I am up to speed when I arrive.  

When I was getting ready to update you with this delay, I was trying to come up with some interesting way to tie this update to my last post of Speed-bumps and Hiccups.  I thought you might be interested in learning that there is one main Highway which goes from the east coast of Tanzania across the country and enters Malawi.  This highway is called the Tanzam Highway.  Once you enter Malawi on this highway you can continue on this highway all the way to South Africa.  Many refer to this highway as The Great Northern Road.  When I first started in Chimala, the only way to get from the east coast city of Dar es Salaam (which is where you fly into) to Chimala was to drive on this highway.  This was about a 15 hour drive!  

The highway takes you through the Mikumi National Park Reserve.  Just driving through is like a free safari.  You can see many animals from this highway.  On my many trips on this highway, we have had encounters with lions, giraffes, water buffalo and many baboons.  I remember once, I was riding in the front passenger seat of the bus and we came upon a giraffe in the middle of the road.  Our driver James just kept driving right toward the giraffe, not slowing down!  I screamed at James to “STOP!”, which he did, but almost not in time.  The giraffes’ knees were in the middle of the windshield not more than 6 inches from my face!!  James had thought the giraffe would move, but he did not.  He just stood there for what seemed like the longest time.  Then he slowly turned around and just loped along in front of us for about 3 blocks before leaving the road to us.

Throughout the park, there are speed bumps about every mile to keep you from going too fast in case an animal, like the giraffe, wonders on the road.  This road is the only way for semi’s to travel from the port to the other countries with supplies which come into the country by ship.  Along this highway to Chimala, the government has been working to redo the road (which is badly needed).  All along the highway, the countryside is dotted with small villages.  So in order to provide safety to the villagers who are walking and riding bicycles, there have been speed bumps placed on each end of the villages and sometimes in the middle of the villages.  Some of these speed bumps are probable twice the size of any you have seen here in the states.  Can you imagine I-40 across the state of Oklahoma having speed bumps every mile or so completely across it?  Well that is how this highway is.  Therefore, you now know my reason for using speed-bumps as an example.

As always, thank you for your support and encouragement.  May God bless us all as we work with those in Chimala in need of help.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAREWELL TO CHIMALA MISSION

OC Students leave their "mark".....

From Tanzania to Oregon